Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Two Special Blessings: Health and a Good Wife


We don't realize just how blessed we really are until we have lost our health. Last Thursday (July 17) I injured my back while doing something as simple as picking up an ice-chest. Early Friday morning (4:00 AM) I fell to the floor in tremendous pain and could not get up. Rhonda (my dear sweet wife) had to call 911. The paramedics used a back board to lift me up, put me in an ambulance, and carry me to the hospital. It took two treatments of medicines by I.V. to ease the pain and relax me enough to where I could move. I spent the most of the next five days lying flat on my back on the floor. I felt like the psalmist who said in Psalm 38:7, "My back is filled with searing pain; there is no health in my body." But God is good and today I am beginning to feel much better.

I must say that God has blessed me with a wonderful wife who looked after me and took great care of me. I don't know what I would do without her. When I think of my wife I think of what the Proverbs writer said in Proverbs 31:10-31:
"A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. . . . She is clothed with strength and dignity; She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all. A woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."

My prayer for all of you today is from 3 John 1:2, "Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well."