Monday, October 12, 2009

Why Memorize Scripture

Good thought from pastor Ted Traylor on why we should memorize Scripture.

Recently God called me to memorize the book of Jude. It is work. It takes time and discipline. In this day of quick reference on our computers and easy access to any passage, is it still important to commit the Word to memory? The answer is yes! Defending the faith and witnessing to unbelievers are two main purposes for this. The book of Psalms gives additional reasons why this is crucial in our Christian walk.
Psalm 119:11 says, “Your word is treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You.” In times of temptation scriptures will return to our minds. The Holy Spirit uses the Word to defend our hearts and strengthen resistance to sin.
Psalm 18:30 tells us, “As for God, His way is blameless; The word of the LORD is tried; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.” His word is proven to be perfect. Our thinking is often full of opinion and flaws. Decision making should be based on His truths. It is imperative to know those words to be wise.
Psalm 56:4 reminds us, “In God, whose word I praise, in God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me?” Ever been in an anxious situation and scripture has brought you comfort? His word acts as a calming force and helps His children focus on Him and not the problem.
I challenge you to ask the Lord what passage of His word you should memorize. It makes a difference!