Thursday, April 3, 2008

Quiet Strength


I recently finished reading Tony Dungy's book "Quiet Strength." In the book Coach Dungy tells his story of how he was able to live his life for God and family--in the midst of great challenges, dissapointments, and extreme heartache. Coach Dungy challenges all of us to redefine our philosophy of what success really is. Here are some great thoughts and quotes from the book.

"Success is uncommon and not to be enjoyed by the common man. I'm looking for uncommon people because we want to be successful, not average." - Coach Cal Stoll

"We expect to win a Super Bowl. But if that's all we do, it will be pretty shallow. We need to not only win but with players who positively impact the Tampa Bay area." - Coach Dungy at his first team meeting with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"I coach football. But the good I can do to glorify God along the way is my real purpose. I want to help people see the path to eternal life through Christ, to enjoy an abundant life now, and to fulfill their God-given purposes here." - Coach Dungy

"People sometimes ask if I went through a typical grief cycle and what I learned from having gone through it. I learned two primary things from our experience and from talking to countless other parents. First, there is no typical grief cycle, and second, it's not something I went through. I'm still grieving, as is Lauren." - Coach Dungy on the death of his teenage son, Jamie.

"I had always said that trusting in the Lord was the answer. Now, facing my own tragedy, I knew I needed to accept the truth that God's love and power were sufficient. If I really believed it, I needed to use this personal and painful time to validate that belief. God would work for the good of those who love Him, even if we didn't understand how He was gong to do it." - Coach Dungy after the death of his son, Jamie.