Sunday, August 31, 2008

Peace in the Midst of a Storm

Rhonda and I went to the beach this afternoon to see the waves churned up by hurricane Gustav. I took this picture. I am reminded that the storms of this world can seem so powerful and furious. Yet, for the Believer, we can have great peace in the midst of the storm. Jesus, our Prince of Peace said, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (John 14:27).

Billy Graham wrote,

The storm was raging. The sea was beating against the rocks in huge, dashing waves. The lightning was flashing, the thunder was roaring, the wind was blowing; but the little bird was sound asleep in the crevice of the rock, its head tucked serenely under its wing. That is peace: to be able to sleep in the storm! In Christ we are relaxed and at peace in the midst of the confusions, bewilderments, and perplexities of this life. The storm rages, but our hearts are at rest. We have found peace-at last!